Firstly, many thanks for taking on the role of Parish Safeguarding Officer. There are a few things that will be required over the coming months; we don’t want to overwhelm you but these will help equip you for the role going forward:
- Please contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team to introduce yourself, and so we can introduce ourselves to you. We will ask if you are happy to be added to our central Database so safeguarding mailings are received. You will also be invited to three or four Parish Safeguarding Network meetings a year (usually over Zoom) in which PSOs across the Diocese meet to discuss updates and hear from the team.
- An Enhanced DBS check for Child & Adult workforce will be required if not undertaken already; if this has not been sought at parish level, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
- Relevant training should be undertaken as follows:
- 1. Safer Recruitment: This is an online training module which should be undertaken as soon as possible on the Safeguarding Training Portal.
- 2. DBS Training: The Diocese provide training for those administering DBS checks; sessions are planned as needed so please contact email@example.com for the next date/s. Once this training is complete, you will be given access to an online account through which DBS checks can be initiated.
- 3. Leadership Safeguarding Training: Further information and dates can be found on the Diocesan website Here.
- When you are ready to be added to the Parish Dashboard, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to give you the link.
As you settle into the role, please feel welcome to get in touch at any point for help and support as needed – the Diocesan Safeguarding Team will be very happy to help. Contact details can be found Here.
Thank you again for agreeing to take on the role, we look forward to hearing from you soon.