The Church of England has resolved to achieve net zero carbon by 2030. This places extra requirements on parishes, and subsequently on the Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC) to widen its knowledge base in building services and environmental sustainability. The DAC is a group of formal members and consultants all of whom volunteer their time and professional knowledge to assist parishes in looking after and appreciating their church buildings.
We are advertising for further advisers to the DAC in this field to support the 270 churches in Worcestershire and the Borough of Dudley, of which around 80% are listed buildings.
- The Adviser will advise the Chancellor, the DAC and parishes on the care, repair and development of building services (within their expertise) in the churches in the diocese.
- Casework will vary from simple matters to complex schemes for the installation or renewal systems to help churches perform better environmentally.
- Most work will be undertaken by correspondence and review of case submissions, but there will be some requirement to travel to churches so need to be regionally based.
- The Adviser will support the Church Buildings Team in their offer of training to churches, supplementing the programme provided by the Church of England Environment Team.
- The Adviser is not required to attend DAC meetings (8 per year), but it will be useful to attend when there are cases pertinent to the role on the agenda. Meetings are generally held in Worcester with the option to join online.
- The Adviser should always act within the DAC’s terms of reference and extant policies.
- Successful candidates will have expertise in a relevant field (e.g., heating systems, low-carbon technologies, electrical engineering, retrofit of buildings for environmental sustainability).
- An understanding of, and sympathy for, the conservation of historic buildings, and how conservation relates to sustainability, is desirable.
- Full details on the role of a DAC Adviser can be found here: https://www.churchofengland.org/media/16818
- The Adviser will be appointed by the Bishop of Worcester.
- The role is voluntary, out-of-pocket expenses will be provided at diocesan rates.
- There will be opportunities to liaise with colleagues in other diocese through national forums, and to attend conferences for which attendance fee and travel will be reimbursed as above.
To register interest in a role or to have an informal discussion about a role, please contact the Church Buildings Team, 01905 732809.